This delicious pear tart is easy to make and you’ll definitely be satisfied with the result. Let the chocolate aroma feel your house up 🙂
Pear and chocolate frangipane tart
Makes enough for 23-25 cm tart
- 150 g all-purpose flour
- 75 g unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- ¼ t salt
- 2½ T ice-cold water
- POACHED PEARS:
- 3 pears, deskinned, halved, cores removed
- 375 ml dry red wine
- ¼ c brown sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- CHOCOLATE FRANGIPANE:
- 100 g caster sugar
- 100 g unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 eggs (120 g)
- 30 g cocoa powder
- 100 g almond meal
- ¼ t almond essence
- 40 g almond flakes, for decoration
- To make the crust, in a food processor process the flour, butter and salt until sand-like texture. Add ice-cold water and pulse again until the dough forms a ball. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill for 20 min. Try keeping things as cold as possible and work fast, don't worry about fully incorporating the butter. It is better to underwork the dough than overwork it.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the disc large enough to cover the base and sides of the tart pan. Roll the dough aroung the rolling pin and transfer it to the pan. Unroll and smooth it out inside the pan. Run the pin over the pan to trim off any excess dough around the edge. Poke the dough with a fork all over its' surface, line with baking paper and fill with baking beans or grains. Blind-bake the crust in the preheated to 170 C oven for 20-25 min. Remove from the oven, take off the baking paper with beans and let the crust cool.
- To make poached pears, put all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat, let it boil, reduce the heat to low and let pears simmer for another 8-10 min. Then remove the pears from syrup and let them cool.
- To make the frangipane, process all the ingredients, apart from the almond flakes, in a food processor until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the frangipane into the tart shell. Slice the pear halves into slim wedges almost all the way through, and arrange them over the frangipane.
- Sprinkle over with the almond flakes, bake in the preheated to 180 C oven for 30-35 min or until the filling is set.